Sunday, October 10, 2010

Simple Living Month: Day 10

My exciting adventure today was to make some All-Natural Laundry Detergent. It is very simple and chemical free. Not only is this better for your skin and allergies, but because water run-off from your laundry can pollute natural water supplies, it is better for the environment.
Directions:

1 cup grated soap
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda

Mix well and add essential oils if you want for a scent. It is recommended that you use Ivory Soap, but I had some all-natural soap laying around so I am trying that. It is much healthier than all of those chemicals in your typical store-bought detergents and much much cheaper. My experience with it is great so try it out and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I also just heard about these soap nuts (native to India and Nepal), which I plan on trying ASAP. You can put 5 or 6 of them in a cotton bag and throw them in with your laundry, and they will clean the whole load. You can reuse them several times, and compost them afterwards.
    http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/soapnuts.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my own detergent and love how it smells and how clean my clothes are! I use a little more borax and my whites just sparkle. I all mine to water because it's easier for us to use. It costs about 2 cents a load, that should be a factor as well! Hope you are doing well! Give Andrew and Bailey a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete